Fort Zeelandia is a former Dutch fort in Paramaribo, the capital of Suriname, located on the left bank of the Suriname River.
Fort Zeelandia originated from the early 17th century when the Dutch founded a trading business near the Indian village Parmirbo, later Paramaribo. In order to defend the settlement a reinforcement was constructed. The British conquered it in 1651 and named it Fort Willoughby, to Lord Willoughby. In 1667 conquered the Dutch, led by Abraham Crijnssen and the fort was called Fort Zeelandia. While in 1712 the French, led by the notorious pirate Cassard had conducted a successful attack on part of the plantations around Fort Zeelandia, on the right bank of the river a new fort, Fort New Amsterdam. was built. Fort Zeelandia has over the years various social destinations. It has been a military camp,a prison and now a museum. After a temporary interruption since 1995 ,in Fort Zeelandia we have the Suriname Museum again.